Once again, the Red Sox get a pass

Saturday, August 8, 2009 |

This is one of those situations where I'm sure that my anti-Sox bias is showing, but at the same time, when major media outlets are questioning it, I don't feel like it's JUST because I hate them and all that they stand for.

Now, the Mitchell report was accurate, but completely ridiculous. Mitchell has a stake in the Red Sox, and thus shouldn't have gotten within 10 miles of this issue, and yet he was head man in charge. The government's sources were all based in New York, so of course there were going to be more names from the Mets and the Yankees. But there was still a shocking lack of Red Sox and former Red Sox players (not complete, but major).

This time, it's the MLBPA that's grinding my gears, so to speak. They were silent when the first names on "the list" were leaked. Even though it was their guys, they didn't step up and scream bloody murder, which is what I would like my union to do if my career was in serious jeopardy over something I was told would never see the light of day.

Now that David Ortiz (aka "Big Pop-up") is the guy in trouble, they're all for making statements - and excuses.

They either need to be out front about this or just keep their mouths shut. Is A-Rod any less of a member of the PA than David Ortiz? Why does Ortiz get defended and handed excuses?

A-Rod does a lot to get himself into PR trouble, but this time, he's the one looking like a man.

People are commenting on the hypocrisy of people wearing A-Rod jerseys booing David Ortiz, but at least A-Rod came clean, told the truth, and is working to get over it. Same with Andy Pettitte. Yeah, the Yankees are tainted, there's no getting around it. But at least they'll be sleeping at night, knowing it's all out there on the field now. And as a Yankees fan, I'm proud that they didn't skirt this issue, didn't make excuses ("I was careless" is not enough for me, I guess) and are working to play good, clean ball.

And, though I know this is totally unreasonable to hope for, maybe now Red Sox fans will stop with their holier-than-thou attitude and realize they cheat just as much as everyone else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment